This event is only open to KU Leuven researchers, students and staff.
In March 2023, KU Leuven Libraries , the Faculty of Arts and the Humanities and Social Sciences Group will organize a hackathon. The objectives of this initiative are two-fold: firstly, to put the library’s digital collections in the spotlight and secondly, to strengthen the digital humanities (DH) community at KU Leuven.
What is a hackathon?
It is an event that is usually organized over a short period of time where participants come together in small groups and work intensively on a creative digital project or towards some digital end. In the case of BiblioTech, KU Leuven researchers, students, or staff will be divided into small groups and will work specifically on one of the datasets prepared (by LIBIS) for the hackathon. The groups will be guided by at least one group leader and will be able to rely on the help of experts who have specific technical knowledge and skills and who will be part of the expert pool. The groups are free to follow their creative inspiration, but must apply some digital approaches or tools to the dataset to produce an end result that will be presented in the form of a short presentation and a poster at the closing event of the hackathon.
Find out more about the collections we will be working with here!
The hackathon will span 10 days and will take place from Monday 13 March until Thursday 23 March. In addition to the working period of the hackathon, we will have an opening and closing event and an orientation event, “Meet the Data, Meet the People,” prior to the start of the hackathon.
- Tuesday 7 March 2023: Meet the Data, Meet the People
- Location: Zaal Couvreur, Leercentrum AGORA
- to be confirmed
- Monday 13 March – Thursday 23 March 2023: Hackathon is live!
- Subject to preference of teams; online, physical, or hybrid
- 3 working rooms available to book in Leercentrum AGORA
- Monday 13 March: Hackathon Kick-off Event
- Location: University Library, Van Cauwenberghzaal with reception in the gallery
- Time: 17h00-21h00
- Thursday 23 March: Hackathon Closing Event
- Location: University Library,Van Cauwenberghzaal with reception in the gallery
- Time: 16h00-21h00
- When: from Monday 13 March until Thursday 23 March
- Where: Leuven (see above for more details)
- For whom: We welcome applications from researchers at all stages of their careers, motivated students, and also KU Leuven staff members. Digital skills are not a must, but a willingness to learn about digital approaches definitely is.
- Price: free
- Registration: Already convinced and want to take part? Great! Submit an application here. Registration closes on the 13th of January 2023.
Want to see further details? Check out our webpage here for the most current information. We look forward to hacking with you!